So, I think most people know about the new flagship from Samsung, which is Galaxy S6 and surprisingly, Galaxy S6 Edge. For me, it’s something new but very common in our life.
Thus, this is my review at both smartphone by looking at the design, specs, pros & cons, and also my opinion based on people’s opinion & tech reviewers. Until I can get my hands on the device, this is my opinion.
What so special about this devices?
1. Specs. Well, it’s all about specs nowadays. On paper, S6 is using Exynos 7420 which is octa-core processor, 3GB of RAM, starting at 32GB of storage (finally!), LTE network and that’s it. Google it for more info about the specs. It’s a flagship specs so the expectation is high.
2. Display. We all know that Samsung’s SAMOLED display is gorgeous and surprisingly energy saving so this device is perfect. 5.1 inch with 2K display (1440 x 2560 pixels) and protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4.
3. Camera. It’s a major upgrade for the Samsung’s flagship with rear camera at 16MP with flash, OIS and the new f1.9 aperture (smaller is better). For comparison, Vivo Xshot is using 13MP with dual flash, OIS and f1.8 aperture. The front camera is using 8MP also with f1.9 aperture.
4. Design. It’s amazing when Samsung ditched plastic rear panel with the glass design (similar to Sony Xperia Z3 and iPhone 4) and with aluminium frame design (iPhone 6, anyone?). For Galaxy S6 Edge, the curve is more balanced than Galaxy Edge. Anyway, it’s a beautiful piece of artwork.
5. Wireless charging? Ow yes!
6. Less Touchwiz bloatware. Samsung is using Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with Touchwiz skin on it. The UI is much faster thanks to Samsung’s effort to remove excessive bloatware in older flagship before.
But, the device is not perfect. There are some parts that are not so special about it.
1. Battery. 2550 mAh for Galaxy S6 and 2600 mAh for Galaxy S6 Edge. When you have 2K display and powerful octa-core processor on your phone, you know your device will not long last enough.
2. It’s. Still. Touchwiz. If you like another manufacturer’s UI or pure Android skin, you will hate Touchwiz.
3. Similarity of everything to another phone. Back panel like Sony. Bottom frame like iPhone. Front still the same as S5. Samsung Pay? What did you expect?
4. No more removable battery. It’s an internal battery like the rest of the phone on the market.
5. No more expandable storage. If you want more storage, you need to spend more at the phone’s storage capacity.
6. No more water resistant. It’s not waterproof like Sony Xperia but someone will miss it.
7. Capacitive button. It’s still there. It’s 2015 already, why not using on-screen button like the rest?
8. Edge is more gimmick than functional. There’s no real function other than people’s shortcut, time notification and light glow when receive call with phone facing down. Seriously Samsung?
9. Price. It’s. F*cking. Expensive. Believe it or not, this device is cost you more than the iPhone 6 or the rest of the Android phone on the market, like come on!
Without a doubt, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge is a new renovation from Samsung. But with lots of their trademark is diminished, will they got a new follower or many more haters?
Just wait and see.