For a tech geek including me, they will know about this device. But if you’re just an average joe, then this might be the first time you hear about it.
HTC One M9 (that’s the name they give) is a slightly upgrade from their previous major smartphone, One M8 (M* is the series name, like Galaxy S series). By the way, what’s so special about this device?
1. The unibody design. Like their first One M7 (the first version before M8), M9 is an all aluminium frame curve with strap of antenna on the body. *note : Apple’s iPhone 6 is using this design. Some may disliked the slipperiness of the design but I’m okay with it.
2. The Boomsound stereo speaker. It’s marvelous. Especially when located in front of the phone not in the back like most smartphone in the market. It’s loud enough to wake you up in the morning.
3. Flagship specs. Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 octa-core processor, 32GB of storage, 3GB of RAM and LTE network. Enough for me.
4. Display. 5 inch screen with Full HD. No Quad HD so it means battery saving for the phone that contain 2850mAH battery power.
5. Impressive UI. One M9 is using Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with Sense UI which is in my opinion is beautiful. Much better than Touchwiz and close to pure Android.
In the paper, it looks like there are many great things in the device. Unfortunately, this smartphone is not that great. There are some weakness too.
1. The rear camera. It’s not good enough for the standard of flagship device. The rear camera contain 20.7MP with dual flash. No OIS unfortunately. High in aperture if I not mistaken thus poor in low light image. The picture quality is just weird. *note : front camera is 4MP UltraPixel which is actually good.
2. No major redesign or improvement from HTC. It’s quite the same as the One M8 (like how much Xperia Z2 is the same as Z3). Just the rear camera bezel and specs that change. Everything else is the same.
3. Dat. Screen. Bezel. With. HTC. Logo. It’s ugly as hell. HTC still maintain their logo’s position even it’s actually taken a lot of space in the phone size. Why HTC, why?
4. Price. Still as expensive as standard flagship devices.
To HTC : Since your product is not getting much advertising, why don’t you place the price like most Xiaomi’s product? It’s hilarious.
In conclusion, if you’re using One M7/8 who wants to upgrade or new user who wants good battery life, superb speaker, beautiful pixel and smooth usage, HTC One M9 is for you.
But, if you don’t like the design or HTC user who not satisfied with no redesign, this smartphone is not for you. In addition, if you want powerful camera, Quad HD display, fruit company’s premium device or low price smartphone, don’t buy this.
*Still want the design? Why not M8?*